A Week With Disney +


So here it is. Disney+ has finally arrived. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a massive Disney fan. Whether it be the films themselves or watching people on their trips to Walt Disney World. Disney is part of my daily life and since it was first released in the US late last year myself and my fellow Brits have been desperately waiting to get our hands on it. Last Tuesday (24th March 2020) Disney+ was launched in the UK tragically coinciding with the start of the UK’s nationwide lockdown amidst the Covid-19 pandemic. This lockdown, mixed together with me putting off finishing my dissertation proposal that is due in May, means I have had plenty of time to get acquainted with this new platform. 

So here are my initial thoughts....

The aspect I was most excited for was the documentaries. Like I said, I adore Disney and everything that surrounds it. Being able to have a glance inside the inner workings of the company is absolutely fantastic. Of all the documentaires I have seen so far my favourites have been One Day at Disney and The Imagineering Story. 
One Day at Disney does exactly what is says on the tin. A series of vignettes that show the daily life of Disney employees from a wide array of sectors across the Walt Disney Corporation. As I sat watching with my cup of tea, I was thrilled to see so many people loving their job and just seeming genuinely happy. I should probably note that a film made by Disney about Disney could have been easily manipulated to hide all of the ugly parts. But in these times where everything is so dark and negative, I’m going to politely ignore this and let the joy these people feel wash over me. 

Moving on to The Imagineering Story. A series of hour long episodes telling of the behind the scenes story of the creation of the parks and some of their most iconic rides. Each episode is jam packed with information about everything you could possibly want to know about the parks. Art design, engineering and architecture the show has it all. Far more in depth than One day at Disney, The Imagineering Story is fascinating, learning about how all we know about the parks came to be is truly brilliant as it gives me more facts about Disney to bore my flatmates with. 

Something I love almost as much as Disney is trashy telly, specifically bridal programs and Disney+ does not disappoint. Disney’s Fairytale Weddings has been on my TV all week (much to my boyfriends dismay). The show documents weddings across the parks and has inadvertently made me want to get married with the mouse, something I have thought was tacky my entire life. The program is perhaps the most ‘American’ thing I have ever seen, all smiles and no sarcastic comments; it can sometimes be jarring for those who are too British for their own good. If you are looking for some great trash, this is definitely the thing to go for.  

Obviously, Disney Plus has countless Disney, Marvel, Star Wars and National Geographic more than you could ever possibly need. It also has some originals like The Mandalorian and High School Musical: The Musical: The series. Both are released weekly and my binging habit means I simply don’t have the patience to wait for both. I have decided to wait for the entire series of High School Musical as I can’t commit myself weekly to something I know will be pure cheese. The Mandalorian, on the other hand, I have committed myself to and to be honest I am disappointed with it. Three episodes in and I feel nothing as really happened yet. The only reason I am committing myself to it is because I'm holding out hope that it’s a slow burner and will find its feet later on in the season. Also, Baby Yoda is so cute that even if the programme doesn’t improve, I would watch simply to see that cute little green Jedi. 

Overall, my first week with Disney Plus has been fab. It’s packed with everything a Disney/ Marvel/ Star Wars fan could need however if you’re not fussed by any of those, I would probably save your £5.99 a month. I am interested to see how the service continues to update itself. Netflix is constantly switching up its content whereas Disney Plus is limited solely to the content the company owns. This means the service must be quick on providing new releases in addition to original programming otherwise I fear Disney Plus may find itself redundant within a year or two. That being said, I will be quick to eat up any new content the service provides and I hope it really finds its feet in this new age of streaming and binging.

Comments

Popular Posts